A beautiful well balanced vegan dish that makes me smile because the texture and aroma are carved in my memory. My mother always cooked us this dish and it might be the reason I grew up to love the flavour of cilantro! Just thinking about it makes me hungry!!!
Easy recipe to follow and it’s 100% vegan! Some other ways of cooking it would involve adding beef but I prefer this version!
Makes 6 servings:
2 cups bulgur wheat
2 pounds zucchini cut into small cubes (1 inch)
1 bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups of hot water
– In a small bowl mix garlic mince and cilantro until well incorporated.
– In a pan on medium heat add oil, half garlic and cilantro mix and cook for a few minutes.
– Once mix is warm add the zucchini cubes, salt & pepper and mix all ingredients well. Let it cook until zucchini cubes are half cooked.
– Add bulgur wheat and mix well.
– Add the water, cover the pan and lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
– Add the remaining garlic & cilantro mix and let it all cook for five more minutes.
This dish is usually enjoyed with a side of a cucumber & yogurt salad or if you want to keep it vegan then you can serve it with a side of a spinach & tomato salad!
Healthy Genie xx